Thursday 16 April 2009

A few nice pics from the allotment

This week I thinned out the first tiny mixed salad leaves (right). I like to eat the ones I pull out - I'm sure they should be washed first but there has been a lot of rain this week, they tasted clean enough. (I try not to think about the state of my gardening fingers). I also thinned the brussels sprouts and cauliflower, and covered the remaining miniplants (only two leaves big) with the cage I made last year, to keep the pigeons off.



This clump of spinach (left) is looking good, and the small shoots of garlic, planted in early March, springing up around it.



Some of the strawberries are in flower already! Around two thirds of the plants I put in last autumn. This week I had to replace four that died over winter. Not bad, I think, out of 24 plants.

I fished snails out of the sorrel (below) and threw them onto the main path, where the birds can find and eat them later.



















My earliest broad beans are looking pretty good now, and can you see, in the top left hand corner of the picture below, I'd started building the frame for my runners? I like to go from one job to another rather than sticking with the same old task for hours. Scattered Gardener, drifting from one thing to another.

No comments: