Monday 8 June 2009

Welcome sunshine...


This is Mesembryanthemum, one of those flowers that only opens when there is bright sunshine - fortunately there was lots on our SW facing patio last week! I have a shallow pot of them, the first I've ever had, as I spotted a tray of them in the garden centre some weeks ago.
My grandmother called them South African daisies, and used to grow them in a tiny bed by her sunny front door. They grow in such a glorious variety of colours and have such cheerful little faces - like all the daisy family.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Gosh they are flowering early.

Scattered Gardener said...

Mmm, they're not looking as happy in the cold and rain this week I must confess.

Jo said...

I grew some last year from seed. They lasted ages and looked lovely when the sun was out.